What methods of transport does SATA provide for my pet?
SATA accommodates animals to travel in the cabin permitting they meet all requirements. Animals that do not meet cabin requirements may travel as checked baggage.
- Animals are not allowed to be transported on flights to/from England or Ireland.
- SATA does not permit the travel of birds and other domestic fowl in the cabin.
Does my pet qualify for travel in the passenger cabin?
- The combined weight of the pet and their carrying container must not exceed 7 kg.
- Animals may be transported in a kennel, cage, or waterproof bag.
- All pets must travel in a pre-approved kennel for the duration of the flight.
- Pregnant animals may not travel on SATA flights.
Does SATA limit the number of pets allowed in the cabin per flight?
Yes, SATA does limit the number of animals allowed in the cabin on certain aircraft. On SATA Air Acores flights, the number of animals is limited per flight. On Q400 aircrafts, only two animals are permitted in the cabin and on Q200 aircrafts, only one animal is permitted in the cabin per flight.
Does my pet qualify to travel as checked baggage?
Pets weighing over 7 kg and under 23 kg (kennel included) may travel as checked luggage in a separate heated compartment in the aircraft.
Does my pet qualify to be shipped as cargo?
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
Pets are not included in the normal free baggage allowance and will be charged as excess baggage and can be paid at the airport prior to departure.
- Domestic flights: 7 EUR per kilo
- Flights to/from Europe and Africa: 15 EUR per kilo.
- Flights to/from Canada and the USA: flat rate of 150 EUR for all animals less than 23 kg. Animals over 23 kg are charged a flat rate of 200 EUR.
What are the kennel requirements?
- All carriers must be spill-proof.
- All carriers must be large enough for the animal to stand up and turn around in.
- Passengers must notify SATA personnel of the size of the carrier upon reservation.
What health documentation is required?
All pets must have the documents required by the destination country. In addition, all pets must have a valid health vaccination certificate.