What methods of transport does British Airways provide for my pet?
Checked as baggage in the hold of the aircraft.
Does my pet qualify for travel as checked baggage?
Pets that meet the following qualifications can travel as checked baggage:
- Due to the size of the cargo hold, British Airways will only carry smaller animals such as cats, dogs, birds, reptiles and tropical fish. (American pit bulls, Pit bull terriers, Japanese tosas, Fila Brazileiros, Togo Argentinos, bulldogs, Pugs and Pekinese are not accepted).
- Animal must be at least 10 weeks old.
- Animal more than 6 weeks pregnant require veterinarian letter.
- Your pet can comfortably remain in its kennel for the entire flight.
- The kennel meets all requirements (see below for more information).
- Your pet has all necessary health documents required by your destination (see below for more information).
Does my pet qualify to be shipped as cargo?
If your pet does not meet the requirements for travel as checked baggage, or you would like your animal to travel unaccompanied, contact British Airways Cargo for more information.
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
Charges differ for pets depending on the size of container, weight of your pet and distance being traveled. Cargo charges will be quoted at the time of reconfirming your pets travel with British Airways World Cargo (maximum 14 days prior to travel).
Additional handling, local government, and customs clearance charges may apply at the origin or destination, please contact your local British Airways World Cargo office to find out more.
What are the container requirements?The following requirements must be met for British Airways to accept your pet for travel:
- The container must be large enough for the pet to stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural manner.
- The container must be strong enough to protect your pet during transport, be secure enough to contain it, and have sufficient ventilation on all four sides to ensure air quality in the container will not deteriorate.
- The door must be secured in such a manner that it will not open accidentally and your pet cannot open it during handling and transport. Your pet's nose and/or paws should not be able to fit through any ventilation opening or door mesh.
- The container must have a water pot and a food container accessible from the outside.
- Fibreboard or wiremesh containers are not suitable for air transportation.
What health documentation is required?
While British Airways does not require a health certificate for your animal, many do require health documents. As it is the passenger's responsibility to be aware of all regulations, you should consult your veterinarian to ensure that your animal will comply with all requirements. In the UK, the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) - Telephone: +44 (0) 8459 335577 - has information on import requirements to many countries. Alternatively, contact the applicable local High Commission or Embassy for further advice.
Are there any other restrictions?
British Airways cannot transport pets on flights originating at Germany, Austria, or Denmark.British Airways can refuse to transport an animal due to illness, aggressive behavior, poor kenneling, or extreme temperatures at origin, transfer, or destination airports.
Please contact the airline directly for information about traveling with a service animal.