What methods of transport does Sun Country provide for my pet?
- Travel in the passenger cabin.
- Checked as baggage in pressurized and temperature controlled area of your aircraft.
Does my pet qualify for travel in the passenger cabin?
Sun Country accepts small cats and dogs (16 lbs. or less) in the aircraft cabin on flights to within the contiguous United States. Sun Country does not transport pets on international flights or on flights to/from Anchorage. Small cats and dogs are accepted conditionally and must not pose a hazard to the safety or health of any passenger or crewmember. The following conditions apply to customers bringing a small dog or cat (these requirements do not apply to certified service/support animals):
- Only one pet per ticketed passenger is allowed.
- Advance arrangements are required and availability is limited.
- The non-refundable fee for a pet is $100 per flight.
- Your pet in its carrier is considered a carry-on item and must be included in your regular carry-on allotment.
- Only one pet per carrier is allowed.
- You must provide a carrier for your pet that does not exceed 16 in x11 in x8 in (length x width x height).
- Your pet must be able to stand up and move around in the carrier with ease.
- Only soft-sided carriers designed as pet carriers are allowed.
- The carrier must have a leak-proof bottom and be well-ventilated on at least two sides.
- Your pet must remain in its carrier and stowed during the entire flight underneath the seat in front of the passenger.
- When traveling with a pet, you cannot be assigned a seat in row one, the exit row, the bulkhead, or in the aisle.
- You are responsible for complying with applicable federal, state, and local regulations or ordinances related to pets.
- Sun Country Airlines does not have carriers available at the airport.
Does my pet qualify for travel as checked baggage?
Starting July 22, 2009 Sun Country will accept cats and dogs as checked baggage on select flights within the contiguous United States. Pets are accepted conditionally and must not pose a hazard to the safety or health of any passenger or crew member. The following conditions apply to customers checking a pet as baggage; please note that these requirements do not apply to certified service/support animals:
- A conditional reservation must be made for each segment. It must be booked with Sun Country Reservations and cannot be made at the airport or online.
- Pets are accepted on all domestic flights except Anchorage, Branson, Laughlin, Miami, New York, San Juan, and St. Thomas. Pets are not accepted on international flights.
- Pets are not accepted on connecting or multi-stop flights.
- There is a non-refundable fee of $199 per kennel per flight segment that must be paid at the airport.
- Passenger must travel on the same flight as the pet.
- Kennel and pet can not exceed a combined weight of one hundred (100) pounds.
- All pets are subject to TSA screening.
- Pets may not be checked in more than four (4) hours prior to scheduled departure.
- Cats and dogs must be at least eight (8) weeks old and weaned for at least five (5) days.
- No more than two (2) puppies or kittens younger than six (6) months, under 20 pounds, and of the same species may be transported in the same kennel.
- Animals transported in the baggage compartment cannot be in heat, tranquilized, or have signs of a pre-existing condition, illness, or evidence of recent surgery.
- Pets will not be accepted at curbside check-in, only at the main Sun Country ticketing counter.
- A maximum of four (4) pets as carry-on baggage and two (2) pets as checked baggage will be accepted per flight total.
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
- Fee for animal in the passenger cabin: $199 per kennel per flight segment
- Fee for animal checked as baggage: $100 per flight segment
- Payment will only be accepted at the airport of the day of departure. No pre-paid fees are permitted.
- Refunds are not permitted unless Sun Country Airlines refuses transportation of animal.
What are the kennel requirements?
In addition to the size and weight maximums, the USDA and American Airlines require that kennels meet the following requirements:
- Be leak-proof and escape-proof.
- Be properly ventilated, but not allow any part of the animal from protruding outside of the container.
- Provide enough room for the animal to stand and turn around.
- Be made of metal, wood, or a hard plastic/composite.
- Contain absorbent material or litter.
- Have functional handles on the kennel's exterior to prevent tilting and any direct contact with the animals.
- Be closed securely, but not locked.
- Have labels with the words "Live Animal" in letters at least 1-inch tall on the crate's top and on at least one side.
- Have upright arrow labels indicating kennel's correct position.
What health documentation is required?
Sun Country requires a valid health certificate for each pet transported as checked baggage. Certificate must be issued within thirty (30) days of departure and contain the following:
- Passenger's name and address
- Name of pet and breed
- Signed and dated by a veterinarian, stating the animal is in good health
- A list of administered inoculations and any medication required
A Letter of Acclimation is also required. The letter must be obtained from a veterinarian and states the temperatures that the pet is accustomed to—most specifically temperatures less than 45°F. Letter must also state the lowest temperature that a pet may be exposed to—typically not lower than 20°F.
Are there any other restrictions?
Checking pets as baggage is not permitted when temperatures are below 45°F unless the Letter of Acclimation states the pet is accustomed to colder temperatures. Additionally, checking pets as baggage is not permitted when temperatures are above 70°F for snub-nosed dogs and cats or above 85°F for all other breeds.
Sun Country can refuse to transport an animal due to illness, aggressive behavior, poor kenneling, or extreme temperatures at origin, transfer, or destination airports.
Please contact the airline directly for information about traveling with a service animal.