What is unaccompanied minor service?
Young children traveling without a parent or legal guardian are considered to be unaccompanied minors. The airline provides a service to assist these children from their point of departure to their final destination.
Children under five years old must travel with an adult over 18 years of age or with their biological parents. Children ages five to 11 must travel with a passenger at least 12 years old. If the child is not traveling with an adult of the appropriate age, then he or she must use unaccompanied minor service.
What age does my child have to be to qualify as an unaccompanied minor?
- Children under the age of three will not be permitted to fly as unaccompanied minors (with or without an escort).
- Children between the ages of three and four may be permitted to fly accompanied by an unaccompanied minor escort.
- Children between the ages of five and 14 may travel by themselves under the auspices of the unaccompanied minor service.
- Unaccompanied minor service is mandatory for children between the ages of five and 11.
- For children between the ages of 12 and 14, the service is optional.
What are the fees associated with this service?
- Domestic flights (including IPC): $15 one way
- International flights (including LPB): $30 one way
Are there any flight restrictions?
- The child must be accompanied by an adult who can perform check-in duties for him or her. The adult must remain on the airport premises for the 20 minutes preceding and following the flight's departure.
- Unaccompanied minor service is not permitted when the child requires additional assistance due to a physical condition. In these cases, an individual meeting certain requirements must accompany the child.
- The admittance of am unaccompanied minor with slight mental disabilities is permitted under the conditions delineated in Chapter 3.20 of the MOA. All requests for children with disabilities must be evaluated by the airline doctor. When MEDIF is required, unaccompanied minor service will not be permitted.
- Unaccompanied minor service is only available on itineraries operated by LAN. These conditions do not apply to either inter-airline connections or LAN marketing flights.
How do I book this service?
Call LAN Airlines reservations.