What methods of transport does Japan Airlines provide for my pet?
- Travel in the passenger cabin.
- Checked as baggage in pressurized and temperature controlled area of your aircraft.
- Shipped as cargo in pressurized and temperature controlled area.
Does my pet qualify for travel in the passenger cabin?
Pets that meet the following qualifications may travel in the passenger cabin:
- Dogs and cats must be 8 weeks or older to travel. French bulldogs and bulldogs will not be accepted.
- Your pet can comfortably remain in its kennel, under the seat for the entire flight.
- Only small domesticated cats and dogs are allowed. (To transport birds, rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, marmots, chipmunks, squirrels, and chinchillas, contact Japan Airlines Reservations.)
- Pets must be in good health, not predisposed to cause harm to other animals, humans, or objects, and should not have an offensive odor. Pregnant pets will not be accepted.
- Only one pet per container and one container per passenger in the cabin and the container must meet Japan Airlines' carry-on baggage requirements. (Animals traveling as baggage are not included as part of your free baggage allowance.)
- The passenger is responsible for confirming and preparing all import/export documentation required for travel and making arrangements with the appropriate quarantine offices. Be sure to contact the appropriate consulate, embassy, and quarantine offices regarding import/export regulations well in advance of travel. Valid import/export documentation must be presented in its entirety at the Japan Airlines check-in counter on the day of travel.
Does my pet qualify for travel as checked baggage?
Pets that meet the following qualifications can travel as checked baggage:
- Your pet can comfortably remain in its kennel for the entire flight.
- The kennel meets all requirements (see below for more information).
- Your pet has all necessary health documents required by your destination.
Does my pet qualify to be shipped as cargo?
Contact the nearest JAL Cargo office.
How much does it cost for my pet to travel as checked baggage?
Contact the nearest JAL office for rates.
What are the kennel requirements?
- Be leak-proof and escape-proof.
- Be properly ventilated, but not allow any part of the animal from protruding outside of the container.
- Provide enough room for the animal to stand and turn around.
- Be made of metal, wood, or a hard plastic/composite.
- Contain absorbent material or litter.
- Have functional handles on the kennel's exterior to prevent tilting and any direct contact with the animals.
- Be closed securely, but not locked.
- Have labels with the words "Live Animal" in letters at least 1-inch tall on the crate's top and on at least one side.
- Have upright arrow labels indicating kennel's correct position.
What health documentation is required?
Consult your veterinarian for current entry requirements. Contact Japan Airlines about health documentation required.
Are there any other restrictions?
Japan Airlines can refuse to transport an animal due to illness, aggressive behavior, poor kenneling, or extreme temperatures at origin, transfer, or destination airports.
Please contact the airline directly for information about traveling with a service animal.