Carry-On Allowance: 1 Item
Each passenger is allowed to travel with one carry-on item (suitcase, backpack or bag) and a personal item (small purse, laptop bag, or mobility or child restraint device). For parents travelling with infants, a diaper bag is permitted over and above the carry-on allowance.
All carry-on luggage must fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you and adhere to the following requirements:
- Maximum Dimensions: 21in x 9in x 15in/ 53cm x 23cm x 38cm (length x width x height)
- Maximum Weight: 22 lb/10 kg
REMINDER: Bulkhead seats do not have underseat storage during take-off and landing.
Checked Baggage Allowance: 1 Piece
For bookings made on or after September 15 2014, for travel on or after October 29, 2014, guests travelling within Canada or between Canada and the United States on an Econo fare who check one bag will be charged $25.
Guests will be able to pay for checked baggage within 24 hours before their flight through the web, mobile, kiosks, or at an airport check-in counter.
Passengers who purchase Flex or Plus fares, WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard holders, WestJet Rewards Silver and Gold members are still allowed 1 checked bag free of charge. Each bag must adhere to the following requirements:
- Maximum Dimensions of each bag: 62 linear inches/157 cm (length + width + height); 16in x 6in x 13in/ 41cm x 15cm x 33cm (length x width x height)
- Maximum Weight of each bag: 50 lb/23 kg
Overweight Baggage Fees
Any bag weighing 50-100 lb/23-45 kg will be charged overweight fees.
Bags weighing over 100 pounds will not be accepted as checked baggage but can be shipped as cargo. Please contact WestJet at 1-866-WJCARGO (952-2746) to arrange shipping using cargo services. WestJet has partnered with Montreal-based Exp-air Cargo, to coordinate cargo at these locations: http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/cargo/warehouse-info/index.shtml
Oversize Baggage Fees
Any bag between 62-80 in/158-200 cm will be charged oversize fees.
Bags exceeding 80 linear inches will not be accepted.
If a bag is both oversize and overweight, the passenger will be charged both fees.
Excess Baggage Fees
A maximum of 3 excess pieces will be accepted on a space-available basis only per fare paying guest. Fees apply for each additional baggage.
**WestJet limits the number of excess baggage to 2 checked items for flights to Jamaica, Trinidad, and Tobago.
- The following items may be accepted by WestJet if the item meets the requirements for air travel: bikes, bow and quiver, bowling equipment, fishing equipment, game balls, javelins, river kayaks, rodeo equipment, skateboards, scooters, sports racquets, surfboards, waterskis and skis with equipment and surf/windsurfing boards.
- The maximum length of any piece of sports equipment is 9.8 feet/ 3 metres.
- Sporting equipment is subject to all applicable excess baggage fee (extra piece, overweight, and/or oversize) unless otherwise stated.
- For specific packing instructions, restrictions, or other information related to sporting equipment, please contact WestJet at: 1-888-WESTJET (937-8538).
Skis, Snowboards, Fishing rods and Golf clubs:
- One set will be accepted per guest, and the oversized fee will be waived, however the overweight or extra piece fee will be charged if applicable.
- A set is considered to be:
- Skis, boots and poles, or
- Snowboards and boots, or
- Water skis (up to two) or
- One fishing rod and a tackle box or
- One golf bag, holding clubs, shoes and balls.
- Fishing rods must be encased in a hard shell cylinder fishing rod container.
- Golf bags
- Must be sturdy enough to provide adequate protection to the contents.
- Must have an attached hood to protect club heads.
- Golf clubs, balls and shoes are to be packed in a suitable golf bag.
- Please note: Golf clubs packed in golf bags not offering sufficient protection to the contents and golf bags which don't have an attached hood will require a Limited Liability Release Form to be completed and signed by the guest.
- Golf bags with built in tripods will require the legs to be taped or secured to the bag and a Limited Liability Release Form to be completed and signed by the guest.
Football and hockey equipment:
- The oversized fee will be waived, and if the football or hockey bag's primary use is to transport equipment then the overweight fee will also be waived (up to 100 lbs). The excess piece fee will be charged if applicable.
- One helmet, a football/puck, a set of pads, and a pair of cleats or skates are included as part of one accepted set.
- Any loose sticks not packed inside a hockey bag should be taped together and tagged with a separate baggage tag. A Limited Liability Release Form must be completed for the loose sticks.
- Each guest is permitted to bring one bicycle, but all applicable excess fee will be charged per bike per direction (extra piece, overweight, and/or oversize).
- The guest must provide a box or bike bag, and pack the bicycle by turning the handle bars, partially deflating the tires and removing the pedals.
- Any bicycle containing hydraulic fluid or mineral must be packed to prevent leakage.
Skateboards and scooters:
- Skateboards and fold-up scooters (non-motorized) are accepted, but they must be packed to prevent any damage.
- Restricted conditions apply.
- One set of scuba gear is accepted but all applicable excess fees will be charged per set, per direction (extra piece, overweight or oversize).
- Cylinders containing compressed air or a special gas mixture are prohibited.
- WestJet only accepts empty/emptied cylinders (pressure gauge must read zero).
- Tank valve must be open.
- Diving lamps must be disconnected, with the terminals taped over to prevent accidental functioning during transport.
- Sports racquets are permitted in carry on baggage when they are within the sizing restrictions, however they must be properly packaged to prevent damage.
Surfboards & Windsurfer boards:
- Will be accepted in checked baggage when under 9.8 feet/ 3 meters long.
- All boards must have the skeg/fin removed, be padded and packed properly to prevent damage to the board, sail and other baggage.
Disclaimer: The information on this page is true and correct at the time of publication. Because airlines reserve the right to change policies at any time, see westjet.com for official and up-to-date baggage restrictions.