What methods of transport does American Airlines provide for my pet?
- Travel in the passenger cabin.
- Shipped as cargo in pressurized and temperature controlled area.
Does my pet qualify for travel in the passenger cabin?
Pets that meet the following qualifications can travel in the passenger cabin:
- A maximum of two animals will be accepted on each flight.
NOTE: LIMITED TO ONE ANIMAL PER PASSENGER PER PET CARRIER.
- Acceptance will be limited to small household dogs, domestic cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, turtles and birds, providing the animal is harmless, odorless, inoffensive and requires no attention during flight.
NOTE: GUINEA PIGS, TURTLES, AND BIRDS REQUIRE STATE DEPT. OF AGRICULTURE INSPECTION.
- Effective March 16, 2009, Island Air will cease transporting all gaming birds as checked baggage and as freight; only household birds will be accepted.
- Animals NOT allowed in the cabin are as follows, but are not limited to: rats, mice, chickens, reptiles, and fish. If the animal is not listed as being allowed (see previous paragraph), it will not be accepted for transportation.
- The animal is subject to an Additional Fare Collection (AFC) of $35.00.
- The pet carrier will be accepted as a carry-on baggage in addition to the passenger's carry-on baggage allowance.
- Animals are not permitted to travel with unaccompanied minors.
- Passengers traveling with their pet are not permitted to sit in an exit row (Rows 1 & 4)
Does my pet qualify for travel as cargo?
All other pets must be shipped in the cargo compartment on a space-available basis. Total weight of kennel and pet must be 70 lb/32 kg or less. If checking in a pet, there will be an additional fee collected.
What are the kennel requirements?
- Animal must be small enough to fit comfortably in a pet carrier subject to inspection and approval by the airline representative before acceptance. The pet carrier must be built so as not to cause any damage to the aircraft or the animal. It must also be escape-proof and the inside must be lined with safe and non-toxic absorbent bedding.
NOTE: ISLAND AIR DOES NOT PROVIDE PET CARRIERS.
- The pet carrier must fit under the passenger seat in front and is permitted to take up half the under-seat space. DASH 8 dimensions are 10"H x 15"W x 14"L.
NOTE: THE ANIMAL MUST REMAIN IN THE CARRIER AT ALL TIMES DURING THE FLIGHT.
- Small enough to fit under the seat without blocking any person's path to the main aisle.
- Stowed properly before the cabin door is closed and during taxi, takeoff, and landing.
- The flight attendant must ensure that the animal remains in the carrier at all times during flight.
What health documentation is required?
It is the passenger's responsibility to be aware of all state regulations, you should consult your veterinarian and the Department of Agriculture to ensure that your animal will comply with all requirements. Contact Island Air for further information.
Are there any other restrictions?
Island Air can refuse to transport an animal due to illness, aggressive behavior, poor kenneling, or extreme temperatures at origin, transfer, or destination airports.
Travel with a service animal
- Island Air will permit a service animal to accompany a qualified individual with a disability at any seat in which the person sits, unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation.
- If the service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location chosen by the qualified individual with a disability whom the animal is accompanying, Island Air will offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to having the animal travel in the cargo compartment of the aircraft.
- Drug detection and search and rescue animals are limited to one animal in cabin per flight.