What is Unaccompanied Minor Service?
Young children traveling without a parent or legal guardian are considered to be Unaccompanied Minors. Most airlines provide a service to assist these children from their point of departure to their final destination.
What age does my child have to be to qualify as an Unaccompanied Minor?
The service is mandatory for children ages 5-11 traveling without an adult who is at least 15 years old and able to care for the child during the entire trip, including all airport formalities. Children ages 12-17 years are not required to travel as unaccompanied minors, but the service is optional for this age group as well.
If the child is more than 3 months and less than 5 years of age, it is still possible to fly alone, using TAP's personal companion service. From check-in at the airport to meeting with family at the final destination, a TAP employee will accompany the child, going through check-in, customs, and during the flight.
All children under 3 months of age must always be accompanied by an adult older than 18 years of age.
What are the fees associated with this service?
- Unaccompanied Minor from 5 to 7 years: 100% of the applicable adult fee for the trip
- Unaccompanied Minor from 8 to 11 years: Normally pay the applicable Child rate for the trip; however, it will be necessary to consult the price observation in order to see exceptions.
A service charge for unaccompanied minors will be added in addition to the cost of airfare, taxes, and fees.
- Domestic Destinations: €50 each way
- European Destinations: €50 each way
- International Destinations: €100 each way
How do I book this service?
If you wish to book a trip for a child under 12 years old, that will travel unaccompanied, you must make the reservation through a Call Center or Ticket Counter.