What methods of transport does Kenya Airways provide for my pet?
- Checked as baggage in pressurized and temperature controlled area of your aircraft.
- The carriage of pets in the aircraft cabin is not permitted, with the exception of seeing-eye dogs.
What are the document and health requirements?
Please ensure that you have the following documents ready for your pet, at least seven days prior to departure:
- Valid export/import permits from the relevant governments of your destination/transit countries.
- Valid health and rabies vaccination certificates from appropriate government authorities of your destination/transit countries.
- Any additional or special documents that may be required by governments of your destination/transit countries,
Note: Ensure that your pet meets the appropriate quarantine requirements. Your pet may be subjected to quarantine on arrival at your expense. The quarantine period may vary, at the discretion of your destination(s) veterinary authorities.
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
Pets (together with their containers) will be treated as excess baggage and charged accordingly before being transported to the cargo hold.
What are the kennel requirements?
The design and construction of the container must conform to IATA LIVE ANIMALS REGULATIONS. In general, you will have to provide your pet with a correct-sized, well-ventilated, and leak-proof container which meets the following requirements:
- Enough space for the animal to turn about normally while standing
- Enough space for them to stand and sit erect and lie in a natural position
- Adequate ventilation on at least 3 sides (with the majority of the ventilation on the upper part of the container)
- Food and water accessible for replenishment from outside of the container
- If wooden crates are used, the sides must be at least 0.5 inch thick
Suitable pet containers are usually available in most pet stores. Feeding and watering instructions must be affixed to the container. As Kenya Airways' handling agents would like to address your pet by its name, it would be useful if you could indicate your pet's name on the container, as well.
Are there any other restrictions?
Kenya Airways can refuse to transport an animal due to illness, aggressive behavior, poor kenneling, or extreme temperatures at origin, transfer, or destination airports.
Please contact the airline directly for information about traveling with a service animal.