What methods of transport does Air Malta provide for my pet?
Air Malta permits the transport of small dogs and cats on board flights in the cabin. Larger pets may be transported in a special heated and pressurized luggage compartment.
Does my pet qualify for travel in the passenger cabin?
- Only dogs and cats are allowed to travel in the cabin.
- The combined weight of the pet and their carrying container must not exceed 10 kg including container.
- All pets must travel in a pre-approved kennel for the duration of the flight.
Does my pet qualify to travel as checked baggage?
Larger pets and and other animals weighing over 10 kg are carried in the aircraft hold. For such cases contact air Malta Cargo Sales Department in Malta or the local Air Malta cargo representative in your country.
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
- A fee of €70.00 ($90.00 USD) each way is applicable per container.
- Guide dogs are accepted in the passenger cabin and travel free of charge.
What are the kennel requirements?
- The maximum dimensions of the pet carrier are: 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm
- All carriers must be spill-proof
- All carriers must be large enough for the animal to stand up and turn around in
- All kennels must be structured in a way that it is possible to provide the animal with water without opening the cage
- You may carry up to two animals of the same species in the same container.
What health documentation is required?
All pets must have the documents required by the destination country. In addition, all pets must have a vaccination record and a veterinary certificate stating that they are healthy.
All pets arriving in Malta must have:
- A valid Pet Passport, with necessary requirements for entry in Malta.
You can find more information on requirements for proper pet entry into Malta here