What methods of transport does Germanwings provide for my pet?
- Travel in the passenger cabin.
- Checked as baggage in pressurized and temperature controlled area of your aircraft.
How do I book this service?
You can book the transportation of your pet in step 2 of the online booking process as an additional service or you can call the Germanwings Call Centre.
Does my pet qualify for travel?
Germanwings only transports cats and dogs in the cabin. The animals cannot weigh more than 8 kg, including the transport box or bag, which must be closed, bite-proof and watertight while still allowing air to circulate. This box or bag may be no larger than 25.5 x 40 x 40 cm. Germanwings cannot carry any cats and dogs weighing more than 8 kg including the transport container.
Category 1 restricted breeds, such as pit bulls, Staffordshire bull terriers, etc., cannot be carried for safety reasons. Due to national immigration regulations, Germanwings cannot carry any pets on flights to the UK/Ireland.
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
- European flights: £22 / €25/ 42CHF / USD $40 / 790CZK / 239SEK
- Domestic (German) flights: €29.75 (incl. 19% VAT)
- Guide dogs travel for free on all flights
What are the kennel requirements?
In addition to the size and weight maximums, the kennel must meet the following requirements:
- Be leak-proof and escape-proof.
- Be properly ventilated, but not allow any part of the animal from protruding outside of the container.
- Provide enough room for the animal to stand and turn around.
- Be made of metal, wood, or a hard plastic/composite.
- Contain absorbent material or litter.
- Have functional handles on the kennel's exterior to prevent tilting and any direct contact with the animals.
- Be closed securely, but not locked.
- Have labels with the words "Live Animal" in letters at least 1-inch tall on the crate's top and on at least one side.
- Have upright arrow labels indicating kennel's correct position.
What health documentation is required?
The passenger shall be responsible for compliance with all health checks/documentation and requirements/papers necessary for the animal to enter the country of destination. The passenger alone shall be responsible for compliance with all conditions and restrictions associated with the import and export of animals.
Are there any other restrictions?
Germanwings can refuse to transport an animal due to illness, aggressive behavior, poor kenneling, or extreme temperatures at origin, transfer, or destination airports.
Please contact Germanwings directly if you are traveling with a service animal.