What methods of transport does Edelweiss Air (WK) provide for my pet?
Your small dog or cat may travel in the passenger cabin. Large dogs and other animals such as rodents and birds may travel in the checked baggage/hold luggage compartment. All other species must be registered as freight through Swiss World Cargo. Details may be accessed by clicking here.
May I take my pet on all Edelweiss Air (WK) flights?
Yes, you may take your pet on all Edelweiss Air flights, however, the rules and regulations differ from country to country. Specific examples:
· Only dogs and cats are allowed to be transported to Cuba
· All animals must be shipped as freight through Swiss World Cargo to Mauritius, Scotland, and South Africa
· All animals shipped to Scotland must go to quarantine on arrival and remain there for between one and six months
Can my pet travel in the passenger cabin on Edelweiss Air (WK)?
Pets that meet the following qualifications may travel in the passenger cabin:
• Only domesticated dogs and cats are allowed
• Travel must be booked through an Edelweiss Air booking center in advance up to 4 days before the scheduled departure
• Your pet can comfortably remain in its waterproof soft carrier, under the seat for the entire flight (please note that the Business Class seat on the A330’s and A340’s do not have adequate under the seat storage, therefore, during takeoff and landing the carrier, with pet, will be stowed in a wardrobe, an overhead locker, or under an Economy Class seat)
• The kennel is specifically made for animal carriage, soft-sided, waterproof, and does not exceed 21 x 16 x 9 in/55 x 40 x 23 cm (length x width x height) in its dimensions
• The weight of the carrier and the animal does not exceed 17 lb/8 kg
• Your pet has all necessary health documents required by your destination (see below for more information)
Can my pet travel in the check baggage/hold luggage compartment on Edelweiss Air (WK)?
• Yes, you may travel with your pet via check baggage/hold luggage. This service is used for larger dogs, rodents, and birds.
What are the fees associated with pet transport on Edelweiss Air (WK)?
The following fees as of 1 August 2016 are charged for transport of animals:
· Travel in cabin:
· Short- and Medium-haul flights: CHF60
· Long-haul flights: CHF90
· Travel in hold
· Carrier/Kennel size 1 [maximum 23 x 18 x 16 in/60 x 45 x 40 cm]
· Short- and Medium-haul flights: CHF120
· Long-haul flights: CHF180
· Carrier/Kennel size 2-5 [over 23 x 18 x 16 in/60 x 45 x 40 cm]
· Short- and Medium-haul flights: CHF240
· Long-haul flights: CHF360
· A customs check charge of CHF88 will be charged if traveling into Switzerland from a non-EU country
What health documentation is required on Edelweiss Air (WK)?
• All pets must have a valid animal health certificate issued by a veterinarian that is valid for 10 days from the date of issue
• You must have a document with proof that a rabies vaccination has been administered more than 30 days but less than one year on date of travel
• More information regarding transportation of pets is available on IATA Traveler’s Pet Corner which may be accessed by clicking here.