***NOTE: A recent synopsis follows, however, please check alaskaair.com for the most current baggage policies and pricing.***
What is Alaska Airlines' (AS) baggage policy?
The Alaska Airlines (AS) and Horizon Airlines baggage policy for regular basic fares include the following:
- Carry-on baggage.
- 1 personal item - Fee free
- 1 carry-on item - Fee free
- Checked baggage / Hold luggage - Applicable fees per bag increase with number checked.
- Overweight and Oversize bags - Applicable fees per bag depending on weight and size categories.
- Sports equipment - Certain items might have applicable fees.
What is Alaska Airlines' (AS) carry-on baggage policy?
Alaska Airlines (AS) allows 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop bag) per passenger fee free.
Carry-on should not exceed the following size and weight restrictions:
- Starting June 4th, 2018, Alaska Airlines' carry on is 45 linear inches (22 x 14 x 9in) or 115 centimeters (61 x 43 x 25 cm) including handles and wheels.
- Fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
- A jacket, umbrella, duty free items, and assistive devices (wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, strollers, child restraint seats, etc.) do not count towards your carry-on allowance.
- Diaper bags are counted as the one personal item
NOTE: Bulkhead seats do not have under seat storage, therefore, all carry-on baggage must be stowed in the overhead bin during take-off and landing.
What is Alaska Airlines' (AS) checked baggage / hold luggage policy?
Alaska Airlines' (AS) standard checked baggage / hold luggage policy details follow:
- 2 bags standard
- Maximum dimensions: 62 inches or 157 centimeters (length + width + height)
- Maximum weight: 50 pounds or 23 kilograms
Are there fees for baggage on Alaska Airlines (AS)?
Yes, in general, fees likely will apply. They are determined by the type of fare you purchased, your destination, if you are an active U S military personnel and/or dependent, if you have status with Alaska Airlines' (AS) frequent flyer program, status with an affiliated carrier, or if you have an Alaska Airlines (AS) sponsored credit/charge card.
Alaska Airlines' (AS) standard checked baggage / hold luggage fees follow:
- First bag: $30.00 USD
- Second bag: $40.00 USD
- Third and each additional: $100.00 USD
- Within State of Alaska: First, Second, and Third bags: Free
What is Alaska Airlines' (AS) fee for excess baggage?
Alaska Airlines (AS) will charge $100.00 USD for the third and additional bags.
What is Alaska Airlines' (AS) fee for overweight baggage?
Alaska Airlines (AS) will charge the following for bags that are greater than the standard 50 pounds or 23 kilograms:
- 51 to 100 pounds or 24 to 46 kilograms: $100.00 USD extra per bag
- Bags exceeding 100 pounds or 46 kilograms will not be accepted as checked baggage / hold luggage.
What is Alaska Airlines' (AS) fee for oversize baggage?
Alaska Airlines (AS) will charge $100.00 USD extra for bags that are from 63 to 115 linear inches or from 160 to 292 centimeters. Bags greater than 115 linear inches or 292 centimeters will not be accepted as checked baggage / hold luggage.
Are there fees for sports equipment on Alaska Airlines (AS)?
Sports equipment such as skis, golf bags, fishing equipment, hockey, and lacrosse equipment will be accepted up to Alaska Airlines' (AS) size and weight limits and will count as one checked bag/hold bag. Associated fees might be applied.
Alaska Airlines identify the name and model of the actual POC that has been approved by the FAA. Please use the identification from the label attached directly to the POC when identifying if your POC is approved for use in flight. For specific verification of models that are allowed, please contact the airline.