What methods of transport does TAP Portugal provide for my pet?
- Travel in the passenger cabin.
- Shipped as cargo in pressurized and temperature controlled area.
Does my pet qualify for travel in the passenger cabin?
Pets that meet the following qualifications can travel in the passenger cabin:
- The only pets allowed to travel in the cabin on board TAP flights are dogs and cats. No other pets are allowed.
- Passengers may bring their own animal container or purchase one from TAP.
- Animal cannot weigh more than 15 lb/7 kg in addition to the weight of the container.
- The container cannot exceed 10 in/25 cm in x 12.5 in/32 cm in x and 19 in/48 cm (height x width x length), and total of all 3 dimensions must not exceed 41.5 in/105 cm.
- More than one animal of the same type can be carried in the same container, which shall be accounted for as a single animal.
- Each passenger may only carry a single container.
- The container will be charged as excess baggage and never be included in the free baggage allowance to which each passenger is entitled.
- The animal is clean, healthy, odor-free, not pregnant, inoffensive, and pose no threat capable of disturbing the other passengers
- The animal is transported within a sealed container and remains in it throughout the entire journey and does not obstruct free passage within the cabin space
- Government regulations in countries of origin and destination do not stipulate that all animals must be transported as air cargo.
- If the animal complies with the necessary conditions for cabin transport, the animal may travel at their owner's feet as long as it does not move about the cabin space or occupy any seating space.
Does my pet qualify for travel as cargo?
Whenever the necessary conditions for animal transportation in the cabin space cannot be verified, or, whenever an animal is too large and/or heavy, or of large size, or a wild animal or of uncommon nature, the airline may only accept transportation of the same in the hold, on the same flight as the passenger, subject to the following conditions:
- When an animal is accepted as cargo in the hold, it should proceed in a specific container in accordance with its respective dimensions and size. When making a reservation, TAP should be informed of all questions and specifications pertinent to the animal to be transported.
- The animal is transported in a container with dimensions appropriate to its volume and weight.
- The passenger arranges for sufficient food and water for the entire journey since it will not be possible to feed or allow animals to exercise during stoppages in transit.
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
When weight concept applies, the rates are calculated in accordance with the table of excess baggage weight. When piece concept applies, the rates are calculated according to the table that may be found in the Transporting Animals as Cargo section that may be found by clicking here, which corresponds to twice the normal excess baggage charge.
What health documentation is required?
Please visit the DirecÃ§Ã£o Geral de VeterinÃ¡ria website (National Veterinarian Society) and select the option "Controlos VeterinÃ¡rios." Here, you will find more detailed information about the traveling of domestic animals coming from European Union Members and non-EU countries.
If you are traveling to Brazil with a pet, you must take the following requirements into consideration:
- International Health Certificate issued by the animal health authority of the exporting country (Agency, Department, Ministry, Secretariat) signed by an official veterinary doctor of the exporting country. International Health Certificates signed by private veterinary doctors are not acceptable.
- European animal passports are not valid in Brazil. There is no International Treaty between the European Community and Brazil that recognizes the European Passport as a valid document for animal entry to Brazil. Only the International Health Certificate is recognized.
- Consular Visa from the Brazilian Embassy on the International Health Certificate.
- Vaccine Card with a valid anti-rabies vaccination stamp.
- Declaration of Health signed by a private veterinary doctor.
Are there any other restrictions?
TAP Portugal can refuse to transport an animal due to illness, aggressive behavior, poor kenneling, or extreme temperatures at origin, transfer, or destination airports.
Guide dogs accompanying visually impaired and/or deaf passengers may be transported in either class free of charge. Please contact TAP Portugal directly for more information about traveling with a service animal.