Do I need to reserve a seat for my infant?
Infants travel free of charge on domestic flights if seated on the lap of an accompanying adult. For international flights, infants pay 10% of the adult fare plus any additional airport taxes where applicable.
What if there is more than one infant for one adult?
An adult can travel with up to two infants, but is then required to purchase an additional seat and travel with a baby seat.
Are there any discounts for infants?
The infant discount does not apply to Premium/PremiumFlex tickets, with the exception of tickets purchased on or before August 31, 2013 for travel on or before August 31, 2013. A seat will not be assigned if you purchase an infant ticket. If you wish to have a seat for your infant, you must book your infant as a child.
Are there any charges for a child restraint system?
There is no charge for the use of a child restraint system, but since the CRS must be attached to a passenger seat, a child ticket must be purchased even for children under the age of 2. As a rule, a window seat is the preferred location and the accompanying adult must sit next to the child.
What types of child restraint devices are allowed?
- Child seats that have been approved by a member state of the Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or Transport Canada for exclusive use in aircraft and are marked accordingly.
- Child seats that are approved in accordance with safety standard ECE R44/03, 04 or a later version for use in motor vehicles and for children with reduced mobility.
- Restraint systems that are approved in accordance with Canadian standard CMVSS 213 in case of a child restraint system, or 213.1 in case of an infant restraint system.
- That are approved in accordance with US standard FMVSS no.213 for use in motor vehicles and aircraft and that carry a sticker with the following statement in red: "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicles safety standards" and "This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft"
- Seats which carry the TUV Reinland seal of approval "For use in Aircraft"
- Aviation-only approved ACSD
What is the baggage allowance for my infant?
Infants under the age of 2 without their own seat do not have a hand baggage allowance and are only permitted to take onboard food for the journey.