Lufthansa: Children Flying Alone

What is Unaccompanied Minor Service?

Young children traveling without a parent or legal guardian are considered to be Unaccompanied Minors. Most airlines provide a service to assist these children from their point of departure to their final destination.

What age does my child have to be to qualify as an Unaccompanied Minor?

Children aged between five and 11 years may only fly unaccompanied if they are using Lufthansa’s special service or if they are travelling with someone who is at least 12 years old. However, children aged from 12 up to a maximum of 17 years old, who are travelling alone, can also be looked after at the request of their parents.

Children under 5 years of age are not allowed to travel unless accompanied by an adult who is at least 16 years old.

What are the fees associated with this service?

Fee for an Unaccompanied Minor on flights within Germany or Europe: 50 € (USD 75) per flight section.
Fee for an Unaccompanied Minor on intercontinental flights: 80 € (USD 120) per flight section.

Are there any flight restrictions?

Contact Lufthansa for more information.

How do I book this service?

Tickets for unaccompanied children cannot be booked online; they can only be booked through the Lufthansa Service Centre, your travel agency or at the Lufthansa ticket desk at the airport.

What health documentation is required?

Many countries require health documents. As it is the passenger's responsibility to be aware of all regulations, you should consult your veterinarian and the local embassy to where you'll be traveling to ensure that the animal will comply with all requirements.

Are there any other restrictions?

Lufthansa can refuse to transport an animal due to illness, aggressive behavior, poor kenneling, or extreme temperatures at origin, transfer, or destination airports.

Guide dogs, hearing dogs and other comparable service dogs are carried in the cabin free of charge on all Lufthansa flights. Such dogs must be registered in good time before the flight.

If you have booked a flight to/from the USA, there is also the option of transporting an ESAN dog (emotional support animal) in the aircraft cabin free of charge. You will require confirmation from your doctor that you require an assistance dog. Please note that the dog’s suitability for transport in the aircraft cabin may be checked.

On long-haul flights arrangements must be made regarding the dog’s hygiene. Written confirmation is required that the animal can defecate and urinate on command so that other passengers are not disturbed in any way.

More Information