What methods of transport does Avianca provide for my pet?
Avianca provides pet service for animals travelling as hand luggage which meet the specified requirements. Animals not meeting hand luggage requirements can travel as checked baggage and are considered as part of the free baggage allowance.
*The only exception to these rules is for guide or assistance dogs. These dogs must not exceed 41 kilos (90 lbs) and can travel without a kennel.
Does my pet qualify for travel in the passenger cabin?
- Only dogs, cats, and small birds can be carried into the cabin.
- Birds can only be carried within Colombia.
- Dogs and cats travelling on all flights must be at least 8 week old.
- All animals (including their carrier) must weigh under 8 kg (17.6 lbs)
*Note: Pet service is not available on flights to/from Spain.
Does Avianca limit the number of pets allowed in the cabin per flight?
Yes, be sure to request pet service as far in advance as possible by calling Avianca’s call center.
Does my pet qualify to travel as checked baggage?
Pets can fly as checked baggage as long as they meet all of the requirements:
- Avianca only transports dogs and cats. Avianca will transport birds only within Colombia
- Pet carriers are only loaned with a prior reservation.
- Dogs and cats must be at least 8 weeks old.
- Animals must weigh under 100 lbs (45 kgs)- except on A318 flights in which animals must not exceed 20 kgs (44.4 lbs)
- Dogs that measure less than 35 cm at their shoulders are required to wear a muzzle at all times. Dogs that measure over 35 cm at the shoulders must be transported in a metal cage.
Does my pet qualify to be shipped as cargo?
No, Avianca does not provide a service to ship animals as cargo.
What are the fees associated with pet transport?
Pets as hand luggage:
The service is free on flights within Colombia.
What are the kennel requirements?
- The maximum dimensions of the pet carrier used as hand luggage are: 35 cm (14in) X 35 cm (14 in) X 25 cm (10 in)
- All carriers must be spill-proof
- All carriers must be large enough for the animal to stand up and turn around in
What health documentation is required?
- On flights within Colombia, the pet only needs a vaccination card.
- On international flights, animals must comply with requirements of the specific country they are travelling to. All animals must have a Heath Inspection Certificate.
- All pets must be presented for proper inspection.
- On flights to Panama, you must present the transportation certificate issued by the health authority in the place of origin, authenticated by the Consul of Panama in the country of origin.